Monday, July 16, 2012

Broccoli Beef

The other night I made some broccoli beef for dinner. While it was tasty, the recipe is a little bit too involved for my liking and I doubt it will make it into my regular meal rotation.

Ingredients

  • 3/4 lb Steak, thinly sliced
  • 3/4 lb Broccoli florets
  • 2 Tbsp oil
  • 2 Garlic cloves, minced
  • 1 tsp Cornstarch
  • 1 Tbsp Water
Marinade
  • 2 tsp Soy sauce
  • 1 tsp Chinese rice wine
  • 1/2 tsp Cornstarch
  • 1/8 tsp Pepper
Sauce
  • 3 Tbsp Soy sauce
  • 1/4 Cup chicken broth

Directions

  1. Marinate the beef for 10 minutes
  2. Make Sauce: stir together the sauce ingredients in a bowl.
  3. Cook the steak and garlic in a wok or frying pan until no longer pink. 
  4. Add the sauce and broccoli.
  5. Bring to boil.
  6. Dissolve cornstarch in 1 Tbsp of water and add to pan and stir in.
  7. Remove from heat and serve. 

Taylor-Made Changes

The sauce and marinade are a bit simpler than the original recipe I followed. The recipe called for Chinese rice wine and oyster sauce. Two things I don't have and wasn't about to buy to use in one recipe. So I just upped the soy sauce amounts instead.

The directions also called for blanching the broccoli before adding it to pan. But I ignored that and just cooked it with the steak and it worked out. But I think I ended up over cooking the meat... so in the future it might be better to cook the broccoli separate like the recipe requested.

You could also add in a bed of rice to soak up some of the sauce and add some carbs, but as you know I'm avoiding unnecessary carbs so I just enjoyed it on it's own.

No comments:

Post a Comment