Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Time for a Wardrobe Upgrade


Nothing quite this fancy of course...

Over the last couple months I have been growing increasingly aware of the lack of work clothes in my closet. My favorite pair of khakis received so much use that my wallet tried to dig its way out by developing a hole in the seat of the pants. This left me with only one pair of decent khakis and a couple pairs of older slacks that fit poorly. I also have only one pair of khaki-colored socks, meaning that I am required to break one of the cardinal rules of fashion and wear black socks with khakis. Oh and I'm pretty sure I have been wearing the same belt since I was in middle school. These things, combined with the sad truth that I have exactly one dress shirt for each day of the week, led me to the conclusion that I need to spend some money on my professional wardrobe.

Dress to Impress
Recently I have made the decision to start dressing more professional at work; dropping the casual (jeans) days in favor of more non-khaki slacks days. Most of my co-workers wear jeans and collared shirts, but I think it's time to stand out from the crowd more than I have been. Dress to impress, as they say. Plus, I have always enjoyed dressing up and actually find myself comfortable in a pair of slacks. When I dress nicer I feel more professional and I think I tend to act accordingly. I have heard some say that people treat you better/differently when you are dressed professionally, and I tend to agree. We dress up for interviews to impress and look our best, so why do most dress down as soon as we get the job? Shouldn't we want to look our best everyday for the people we interact with and meet? I think so! So, that's what I'm going to do going forward: stand out, be different from everyone else, but in a good way.

The Ocean's cast always dressed to impress!

Sale!
Anyways, back to my wardrobe upgrade. For the last few weeks I have been keeping my eye on deals for dress clothes. Just the other day, I discovered such a sale: Men's Wearhouse was, and most likely still is, having a BOGO (Buy One Get One [Free]) Sale on basically everything in the store. After work I headed over to check out what they had to offer. Half an hour later I was pleased to walk out of the store with two pairs of slacks, charcoal and black, and two 3-pair packs of dress socks, one khaki-colored pack to solve my khaki sock deficiency and a charcoal-colored pack to match my newly-purchased charcoal slacks. Sure, I still haven't fixed the 10-year old belt issue or lack of shirt variety, but I'm only physically capable of spending so much money on clothes in a single sitting. It used to be so much easier when the money wasn't coming out of my pockets, oh to be young again!

The best of socks+sandals
For now, I think I can limp along on my current professional wardrobe until the next sale comes around. I can mix and match my limited assortment of shirts with my new selection of slacks to create a little more variety in my workweek. With the new socks, I can stop worrying about the nice folks at What Not To Wear showing up in my cubical. I could really use a new belt though, I guess it's time to search for a belt sale now!

How do you guys feel about dressing up for work? Can it come across differently and possibly be a negative if we dress nicer than others?

No comments:

Post a Comment