Thursday, May 31, 2012

Sausage Breakfast Muffins


These little muffins are delicious, super simple to make, and make for a great no-carb breakfast. The recipe is relatively new to me, I've only made it a few times, so I'm still making some small adjustments.

Ingredients
  • 12 Eggs - I use 6 whole (yolk+white) eggs and 6 egg whites
  • 2 Cups Cheddar cheese (shredded)
  • 1 lb. Sausage - I like Jimmy Dean's sausage
  • 1/2 tsp. Salt
  • 1/4 tsp. Pepper

Makes 12 servings/muffins.

Directions
  1. Preheat oven to 375 F
  2. Brown the sausage.
  3. Mix all the ingredients together.
  4. Either spray a 12 cup muffin pan or use little muffin papers.
  5.  Bake 30 minutes.
  6. Cool for 5 minutes and ready to eat!

I like to make these up on the weekend so during the week I have a quick and easy breakfast option before work. About a minute in the microwave does the trick.

This go around I made the sausage into twelve patties and browned them using my George Foremen grill. Only takes about 2-3 minutes. Then I put one patty in each muffin like I show below. Next time I think I will try browning the sausage in a pan, add it to the mixture first, and then pour the mixture into each cup. That might make for a better all around distribution of the ingredients. As they are now some of the bites tend to be a little overly sausage filled.

The reason I don't use all twelve egg yolks is to drop the cholesterol of the muffins a little. One egg constitutes about 70% of your daily recommended cholesterol intake. For me, I end up hitting 200% or better each day, so I try to cut cholesterol where possible. 

These things are tasty if you like eggs and sausage like I do, I encourage you to try them out! If I come across any new developments on ways to make these better I will be sure to bring you an update.

No comments:

Post a Comment