Monday, June 11, 2012

Books I'm Reading


From time to time I'd like to share what books I am in the process of reading. I'm not the quickest reader in the world so these posts may be few and far between. At the moment, I'm working my way through three different books. I know reading three books simultaneously may seem like it would be hard to absorb the information; that's what I thought. But I have been experimenting with it a bit and have chosen three books with vastly different subjects. I have found that it isn't difficult at all to read all three because they each speak to improving a different area of my life.

The Five Love Languages
The first is a shorter paperback book called The Five Love Languages: Singles Edition by Gary D. Chapman. So far, I have had a hard time putting it down; it is an excellent book and is fascinating to me. I really enjoy learning about how we, as people, think and respond to certain things. Mr. Chapman is a Christian author and counselor that tells some great stories of real-life relationships that he has been involved in that reinforce each of his five love languages. So far, I am through four of the five languages and have already learned so much about how I can improve my interactions with others. So far, I can say it would be a great read for anyone that wants to improve the health of their relationships with friends, family, spouse, or otherwise.

Be Skillful
The second book is another little book entitled Be Skillful by Warren W. Wiersbe. I am honestly not sure where I got this book. If one of you gave it to me then speak up because I'd love to know how it showed up on my bookshelf! The other day I was perusing my book collection and ran across it. The book is a guide to the book of Proverbs. It's kind of a commentary and book study guide on possibly my favorite book of the Bible. So, it of course caught my attention. I have only been reading it for a few days now, but am really enjoying the insight into Proverbs and guidance provided by Mr. Wiersbe. It has really revitalized my quiet time with God, which I haven't been as diligent at as I would like. I'm glad I found this little book and look forward to getting into it deeper.

Thou Shalt Prosper
The last book, that I'm nearly finished with, is Thou Shalt Prosper by Rabbi Daniel Lapin. This is the audio book in my lineup. Recently, I started buying audio books to listen to on my way to work, doing errands, or on road trips to visit family. I did this because I decided I was gleaning very little personal development by listening to the local radio stations. In fact, the opposite could be argued. So, I got some audio books. This book is my second audio book and so far I love audio books; something is just more relaxing about being able to listen to a book than have to read it. I won't say too much about the book because I don't want to spoil my review on it that will probably be very soon (I think I'm on the final chapter). But in a nutshell, the book explains the reasons that Jewish people tend to be more successful, wealthier, and happier than other business owners and leaders. He gives many Biblical examples for his reasonings and ideas, it has been very interesting.

Well, that's it, those are the three books I'm attempting to get through. My book list is growing much faster than I can keep up with, which is a little disheartening. But I am loving the books I'm reading and don't want to rush them! My book list will probably never be empty, but oh well, if it did end up empty then what would I do?! 

No comments:

Post a Comment