Sunday, June 24, 2012

Weekend Highlights

What I thought was going to be kind of a dull weekend actually turned out to be pretty eventful... or at least eventful enough to get its very own post. Which isn't saying a whole lot I suppose! Here are a few highlights of what I did.


JavaScript 
I started my Saturday off with some exhilarating JavaScript studying. I just bought this book (basically a textbook) on the JavaScript web-programming language. Other than being a highly-recommended, exhaustive resource of everything that has to do with the JavaScript language, it also helps hold the house down when it gets a windy -- the thing is huge, 1100 pages! And it isn't exactly light reading. Getting through this book is definitely going to be my new hobby for the next couple months. After my Sunday afternoon read I'm on page 29, yeah it's going to be awhile.

Oh and the reason for reading it? For one, I've always been interested in web programming and it's pretty similar to a few other programming languages I already know. Also, web-based apps/programs and websites is the direction I've shifted my focus for my little side-business (which really doesn't even exist yet) as well. So, the first step is to actually learn the tools to develop on the web, hence the book.


Meridian Speedway
Saturday night one my friends, Megan, got free tickets to the races at the local Meridian Speedway and invited me along. I had some reservations about how it was going to be, but it was actually quite a bit of fun. There were quite a few wrecks, which are always exciting -- one of the cars even went up and over the wall and broke through a couple of the signs surrounding the track. Thankfully, it was the only wall without fans on it, so no one was in danger, besides the driver of course.

It had been quite a few years since I had been to a circle track race. Honestly, I generally find circle track (or I guess oval would be the correct shape) races very boring...especially NASCAR where they go 200+ laps. That's probably why I haven't been in so long. But thankfully this weekend they were all pretty short aside from a few 40 and 50 lap races near the end. Plus, it was a great reason to get out of the house and do something with some friends.

The Cast Iron Skillet
I bought a cast iron skillet last summer. I figured, I'm a bachelor now. I've got my own place. I'm cooking for myself. Any self-respecting bachelor needs a cast iron skillet, right? Well, I guess not, because I didn't get very far. I think I cooked on it once or twice and it was a disaster. The food stuck like glue. The food turned black. The food tasted weird -- or maybe I just thought it did, who knows. I really don't know what I did wrong but I'm sure it was close to everything.

So, I'm not sure what has gotten into my lately -- I guess it's summer again? I don't know -- but I'm reviving the idea of a cast iron skillet. Saturday, I did some googling and found directions on how to correctly season your cast iron cookware. It all seemed to work okay. Sunday morning I attempted to cook some eggs and they didn't stick too bad, but they turned black, and maybe I'm weird but eating black eggs just doesn't seem like a great activity. It looks like I've got some more seasoning to do before I am an official Cast Iron Skillet-Wielding Bachelor!

Yes, I got lazy and couldn't think of any good pictures. Sorry for the wall of text! 

No comments:

Post a Comment