Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Chicken Bacon Salad


There isn't anything particularly special about my chicken salads but they are delicious. At times, I have even found myself craving them; something that strikes me as a bit odd, considering salads have only recently become a regularity in my diet.

Before I ever tried the low-carb diet my lunchtime meal was almost exclusively some kind of sandwich, be it tuna, lunchmeat, or my personal favorite, peanut butter... and yes, only peanut butter. But of course, bread is quite the carb carrier, with most pieces packing about 15-20g a slice. Naturally, it was the first thing I took a stab at eliminating from my diet since it comprised the majority of my carb intake.

That's when I discovered the beauty of the chicken salad; practically a carb-free meal, save whatever veggies are added. An entire head of green leaf lettuce has only 50 calories and 10g of carbs, half of which are from fiber. Non-starchy veggies are also generally low in carbs as well, offering vital nutrients and vitamins to our bodies.

Nowadays, chicken salads make up about 70% of my work lunches; the other portion coming from my weekly lunch with coworkers or from occasional leftovers. You may be thinking that much chicken salad isn't enough variety, but I rarely get tired of the same foods. I do try to mix it up a bit to keep it interesting by introducing different veggies (tomatoes, cucumbers, olives)  and cheeses (parmesan, cheddar, mozzarella). I have also added salsa, occasionally, for a taco salad experience.

And of course I can't forget the bacon. I don't always add the bacon, but if I have some extra in the refrigerator I will toss it in. A piece of bacon definitely adds a delicious smoky flavor to the salad.

Tomorrow's lunch looks like this:

Ingredients
1 Slice Thick-cut Bacon
3/4 to 1 Cup cooked chicken, cubed
Small handful of Tomatoes, sliced
Small handful of Mozzarella
2 Tbsp of Ranch dressing
Mixed Greens

Yes, "small handful" is a scientific measurement. The beauty of a salad is the measurements really don't matter. There is plenty of room for experimentation and carelessness and it won't be noticed in the final product. The amount of lettuce really depends on how big of a salad you want.

I grilled my chicken on my George Foreman with onion powder, garlic powder, oregano, basil, and ground pepper. Yummmm!




Directions
1. Add the meat to the bowl.
2. Add a layer of salad.
3. Add the veggies and cheese.
4. Drizzle the dressing.
5. Add a final layer of salad.
6. Secure the lid and give it a shake.

This is the best method of preparation I have found. I have experimented with the meat at the top of the salad but it ends up being difficult to get a good mixture of meat and lettuce in each bite. With the meat on bottom it's easier to get the meat from the bottom and combine it with the lettuce from the top. Sure, you're probably thinking I'm crazy, but this is the kind of stuff I ponder while eating my lunch. A good salad-to-meat ratio is important to me!

Oh, and the top layer of salad? It segregates the tasty dressing from the lid; preventing smearing that would just make inefficient use of the dressing.

Looking forward to eating this for lunch tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment